Sunday, September 1, 2013

EWJ #39 The happy camper is busted!

Email not displaying correctly? View it in your browser.

Big Sur Sea Lion Rookery ©2013 Rev. David Seacord, Acrylic on Paper, 4" x 10"



Everyman's WEEKLY Journal #39
© 2013 Rev. David Seacord
September 1, 2013
The happy camper is busted!   


Time to again offer you a view of my lessons/learnings from this week.  A quick thumbnail sketch goes like this:  after leaving Santa Cruz, I spent several days on the Big Sur coast painting, then journeyed to the LA area to explore some art possibilities, then (after ten weeks on the road I have arrived back at my mother's vacant home (because she's been visiting other family for the summer) Saturday morning, where I have found plenty of cleanup and repair work to do.  And, in a couple of days I am off again to join the sound team staff of Bhakti Fest (a wonderful yoga and spiritual music festival) in Joshua Tree, CA.  

But…among the things I didn't mention in the above thumbnail information sketch is also the fact that after three wonderful days and nights of car-camping and painting and having wonderful spiritual experiences (some involving other people and some in solitude) along the Big Sur coast road (CA Hwy 1) and all the time believing that my such usage of the right-of-way was fully lawful, I was suddenly accosted by a very alpha and unhumorous CHP officer and ticketed (and very nearly arrested again) for 'illegal camping'.  Although turn of events has been a bit challenging, inside of my knowing that nothing ever happens 'by accident' I am committed to seeing it as a gift---actually, because the legal issue here is so clearly cut, potentially a huge gift to 'the people' (especially homeless people).  For although of course there is the personallyconvenient option to simply pay the fine and put the incident into the past, that is not where I am being led at this time.  I am clear (in part because of the way that I and others were so blessed while there) that I am innocent of any crime against any other person or entity (like 'the earth', i.e., I didn't leave any litter or other unsanitary mess of any kind) and (even though the legal process is 'inconveniently timed' [but when isn't it?]) I intend to stand for my innocence and return to Monterey to go to trial on principle.  I expect to be convicted of course (which I have seen may involve a slight risk of a short incarceration), but this path is the access to the appeals process (where a reversal of the conviction judgement in the higher courts would have the effect of striking down this particular Monterey County Ordinance, AND all similar law within the appellate courts jurisdiction).  And this is my intended goal-- to have this and all similar freedom-usurping codes and ordinances struck down, that the People (yourself and my self included) may sleep or rest in peace upon the public right of ways. While it is as of yet unwritten, my legal brief in support of my Not Guilty pleading will be based very simply upon the principle that I have both the right to use the public right-of-way as historically used (which always included 'camping' on it), and the inalienable right to sleep wherever upon it as needed (as a part of my inalienable right to life) and that these rights are guaranteed by law far superior to a poorly-written and arguably self-serving County Code--- ie, the Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution.  

So I say… "Hey, what is this, God? 'I' go up upon the mountain (Shasta) to pray and come down with the mission to share The Love Declaration worldwide… now, this same love of life and freedom would have this 'me' be a freedom fighter for 'the rights of life' in the courts too?" (And you know the answer I hear? …. "be unafraid, and go with the Light to wherever there is still darkness…").  So be it. 

(PS…By the way, upon examining the cited ordinance, I recognized that what it was probably originally attempting to prohibit is the nearly-always-present gross and unsightly litter of toilet paper left on the ground next to unburied deposits of human poop that I am very familiar with finding throughout this country.  As an ecological-minded person, this symptom of citified societal unconsciousness I fully agree should be illegal, as it creates visual pollution and breeds unsanitary conditions.  But especially in rural areas, this reality is the result of an educational deficit within our society (When was the last book you read on 'how to poop in the woods without leaving a trace"?), and one that needs to be addressed in that way [and directly-written prohibition ordinances]… and not via an insane and unconstitutional prohibition of 'camping' or 'sleeping', whether automobile-related or not [some people still do chose to walk…].)  Obviously, we will be covering this unfolding story in the future…  

_________________________________________________________

Onward….back to BEFORE all the above happened…. in the early morning after my first (undisturbed) night on the coast I explored a rocky headlands right down to the pounding surf line (nothing risky… just up close), did some good photography and then took an alternative route back up the bluff (that I knew was there because the night before two people familiar with the locality had come up that way).  In so doing I suddenly realized I was deep in a large thicket of poison oak, with no way to avoid it touching me or my clothes.   I did my best and hoped for the best, but expected to have some symptoms.  But I didn't.  Nothing.  I began to wonder if it actually was poison oak… until a couple of days later it was confirmed by a large sign identifying it at the Kirk campground (where I would have then stayed---except it was full--so 'back to the road', and in the morning, the ticket).  

Karma, karma.  Same, same.  
So I'm not reactive to poison oak… yea God! (And thank you raw-food lifestyle!) 
So I'm not invisible to the CHP…. yea God!   

_________________________________________

Remember a few weeks ago I mentioned my time on the Oregon coast with my son, and our visit to the world famous Seal Lion Caves?  Well, sea lions are very noisy creatures with a distinctive bark…   Because of the view and the potential of painting from it, I stopped at a slight unmarked wide spot and suddenly discovered myself listening to the very distinctive sounds of sea lions barking.   Scoping the coastline 500 ft below me with my binoculars, I saw hundreds of them lying on the rocky beach… and then remembered the info sign up at the Oregon caves which had said that there were only two sea lion rookeries on the west coast of the United States… one being the one right there in Oregon… the other being a remote beach on the Big Sur.  Obviously, this was that beach! (and it was inaccessible…only the most skilled rockclimbers could have made the dangerous descent).  I stayed there a couple of hours painting… grateful that my radar/intuition had showed me the spot.  I liked what was coming through and without thinking much about it placed two of the just finished canvases where those passing could see them… like 'show and tell'…I just love to share.  Two adventuring young adults stopped…I gave them The Love Declaration and we shared a sweet connection.  (And they left connected to this Journal…).  Just as Mike and Jillian were getting into their car and leaving I met my eventual CHP ticketer for the first time, who pulled over, marched up to me and told me I 'couldn't set up shop', pointing to the road-visible canvases.  Since the canvases were clearly unfinished (ie, not signed, not varnished, the edges were still unpainted, AND there were no price tags) I knew I wasn't 'setting up shop' by a long shot (if you've ever seen any of my shows)… so I told him I wasn't, I was only 'exhibiting' (which is supposed to be allowed under free speech) but he wouldn't have any of it… immediately (without further questioning of any kind) playing the dominate trump card, saying he could 'take photos for evidence, impound my car and arrest me and take me to see the judge' (50 miles away)… "your choice", he said, with no humor.   Personally, I prefer peace officers to be peaceful and human themselves, but I somehow managed to assess that this personality was in a super alpha mode and unable to distinguish a lawful legal argument of an alternative version of reality when presented to him, instead of to a court.  It certainly appeared to me that he was taking any sign of disputing his non-investigated but conclusive 'snap judgement' assumptions of 'the facts' as a personal challenge to his authority.  Getting this, I folded, saying "we're not going there" and laid the canvases down where they were not visible.  "Fine" he said, "you can paint all you want, but you can't set up shop".  Stepping over to the viewpoint he commented, "This is one of my favorite views too…" (sharing this with me like we were now best friends) and then left (with no mention about 'by the way, car camping is illegal here, you know'… and then for the next three days he drove by once or twice a day, even returning my wave once, but never stopping).  I thought we were cool…
_______________________________________

Later that afternoon I discovered 'my spot'.  It was a big deep pull-off that had room for several dozen cars but those that did stop usually left quickly because there was no super 'spectacular view' (just a simple and wonderfully common one)…  but for me it had something else… the shade of a large ficus tree to paint under.  Also, as I set up to paint I became aware I was hearing the subtle sounds of a trickle of running water… the sound coming from across the road and thus often interrupted by passing cars.  I went to investigate and found only a dry culvert.  But I could still hear the water sound in the brush beyond, so I plunged in, creating a tunnel into the heavy foliage and 20 feet in, I found a tiny spring gurgling a small stream of water.  I was so happy!  Thank you God! (I realized I could now stay without fear of running out of  brush cleaning or drinking water [as I have a .2 micron ceramic filter]).  So for 48 hours I stayed and just painted and painted… and as the hours passed, the miracles (on canvas and off) continued….  

Late on the second day as I was getting ready to 'move on' (following my intuition that it was time to do that…) three motorcyclists stopped to enjoy the view.  Suddenly one of them called to me "You see the whales?!"  I ran over and they pointed out the regular spouting of a north-traveling whale visible out to sea.  I had never seen this before in person.  It was so wonderful to get 'whales are actually REAL, and they're out in the ocean… you can SEE them!'.   A couple of hours later just a short bit after I had left 'my spot' I was again guided to pull over… I did, and upon going to the viewpoint I was greeted by the spouting of a DOZEN whales!  I went into ecstasy! I sang and sang my heartsongs to them! I whooped and danced a jig for them!  I cheered as they blew, as if it was a fireworks show! I rocked out for them!  Other people stopped to see what I was looking at (or doing)…  soon there were many of us enjoying this wonderful show…. a dozen whales circling a 'bait ball' (a school of fish), huge bodies half rising out of the water, blowing, blowing, blowing, diving with huge tails slapping…. hundreds of birds circling above, the ocean seeming to boil.  Even though it was fully visible to the naked eye, I was so grateful in that moment to whomever had invented my binoculars! How awesome a gift!  Thank you forever, Godness!  

_______________________________________________

Earlier the same second day back at 'my spot' a car full of young people stopped and looked at me painting… I could hear the questions in their minds, so I put down my brush and walked over, smiling.  Howdy, what's up?  They smiled back… three women, two men.  One spoke a greeting back and I immediately knew by the accent to switch to my poor Spanish, which got them smiling more.  I signaled the woman driving to shut off the engine, and motioned for them to get out and come see my paintings… I offered them oranges to eat…  Soon we were all having a very good time just being together… they from Brazil, me from the USA, talking first about art,…. then I gave them each a Love Declaration.  Igor began to read it in English… he got so  excited…yes! yes! he exclaimed, lit up brightly, this is TRUE!  Other's began to also catch on and our conversation rapidly deepened.  Oppps, almost forgot… before the Declaration came out, they had had so many questions about me… when they discovered I played music first I had to play my clarinet for them… then the guitar came out, first for Paulo to play for a while (but his hand was in a cast from a soccer game accident) so then I played and sang a good bit too.  They all listened SO well!  Then The Love Declaration came out and the 'satsang' (spiritual discourse) channels opened in me completely and fully (and for the sake of translation, very simply).  I delivered everything I have to them… in a nutshell surge of clarity and brevity.  Then we were all 'just there'.   It was completely beautiful, completely lovely.  They all signed up for this Journal.  In Portuguese, Bruna wrote me a lovely note of gratitude, thanking me for the magic of the moment…Igor said with a kind of choke in his throat 'It's hard to leave…."  Yes, I understand, but life is music….  We all hugged, far deeper than was visible… and they drove off, we each cheering and cheering each other.   I was so full, so happy I did not know what to do with myself.  Suddenly I saw the large beautiful branches of the ficus tree beckoning, and yes, I immediately climbed up into the tree, higher and higher, and finally finding a perch where I could go no further, I trumpeted and whooped and laughed until I teared…  

A while later three men stopped for the view.  I sent them up the tree.  When they came down, they were happy campers too.  :-)  

_______________________________________________

I believe a good while ago I wrote a piece based on Michael A. Singer's book "The Untethered Soul".  My piece focused on his chapter 'The Path of Unconditional Happiness', in which he wrote that the choice to be happy NO MATTER WHAT was the only thing needed to gain enlightenment.  And 'no matter what' included everything, no matter what.   The Love Declaration uses the same term… that no matter what I will be both a servant and source of Absolute Love, for that is who I AM.  My view is that the challenges of life are meant to strengthen this knowing within us, by giving each of us our opportunities to continually expand our consciousness to include 'as us too'  that which we would wish to resist, or know as 'that's not me'.   It is not meant to be a cake-walk, I think.  True transformation is a complete surrender of the ego's games to the truth of our One Spirit.  Essentially what I am reporting to you in these journals is the incremental process of this complete surrender, hopefully with some humor, but also with deep seriousness… and as an invitation to you to begin viewing the challenges of your life as the same process… the journey home to our Unity.  

I say clearly to you that if humanity is to survive (and thrive) beyond our current planetary crisis convergence, nothing is more important than discovering this Unity, and living from it.  That is what is at stake.  Clearly the answer is Yes, we are our brothers keepers--- in fact we are them.  Their unconsciousness is our unconsciousness too.  In every way possible, we must rapidly become fully responsible for this.  This is The Love Declaration's mission.  Please join with me in it.  

Namaste, & Sat Nam, 

David
aka Daud Umacharan

______________________________________________________________

FYI: If you would like to share this Journal as a webpage, at the very top of the email where it says:
"Email not displaying correctly? View it in your browser." etc.
…. well, the word 'browser' is a clickable hyperlink that will open this email as a webpage…
which you can then copy and paste anywhere (like to share it on Facebook, or elsewhere).  

ALSO:  If you would like to share the link to the SUBSCRIBE page, here is the clickable or paste-able code:

ALSO: fyi, these Journals are being archived at: www.everymansweekly.blogspot.com

If you get value from reading this Journal, I do appreciate your assistance in expanding it's distribution.  Thank you so much.  
________________________________________________________

Addition links to other writings etc:

Rev. David Seacord
Fine Art Painter / Sufi Cherag

You are receiving Everyman's WEEKLY Journal either (1) as a result of you personally subscribing to it's predecessor Blogs, or (2) as a sample forward from a friend (or me) AS AN INVITATION TO SUBSCRIBE, or (3) because you HAVE opted-in via my sign-up forms. If you choose to subscribe, you may easily unsubscribe at any time you desire. To subscribe, just click on this group of code [ http://davidseacord.us1.list-manage1.com/subscribe?u=306aba00e6959c604de750bcc&id=62a1ee7045 ] to access the sign-up form. If you don't know or remember me, my artist website is www.davidseacord.com. Thanks for joining us! Namaste, David

Unsubscribe david@davidseacord.com from this list | Forward to a friend | Update your profile
Our mailing address is:
In God We Trust, Rev. David Seacord, Trustee
C/O 210 Ojo De La Vaca Rd
Santa FeNew Mexico 87508

Add us to your address book

© 2013 Rev. David Seacord,  All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment